You as a parent may be able to prevent your child from becoming the next statistic by setting a few simple rules about underage drinking. Before sending your teens off to prom, talk to them about alcohol—it just may save their life.
Here are some tips on how to prepare your teen for these events:
· Make sure your child has a plan for the evening and that you know it.
· Set rules with your child and stick to them.
· Let the consequences be known and stick to them.
· DO NOT HOST A PARTY FOR MINORS—underage drinking is illegal. You as a parent are liable, and could face legal consequences. Allowing a party with alcohol on your property, even if you do not provide the alcohol is now illegal per the Iowa State Social Host Law.
· Take stock of the alcohol in your house.
· Discuss the school’s rules with your child and the consequences for violating them.
· Disapprove of underage drinking.
· Do NOT rent hotel rooms for prom-goers.
· Communicate with other parents and school officials about the on-goings of the night so you are informed.
· Stay up for the prom-goer’s return home.
· Encourage your teen to attend the schools post-prom party
12:00 A.M. – 5:00 A.M.
Harmony Elementary School
Activities to include: Hypnotist, Jousting, Obstacle Course, Mechanical Bull, Caricature Drawings, & more!
Food and drinks provided: Ice Cream Sundae Bar, Cotton Candy, Pizza, Subs, Breakfast, and more!
Prizes will include: TV’s, Fitbit, Beats Headphones, Laptop, and much more!
Prizes will be drawn before breakfast!
For more information on talking to your children about alcohol, feel free to visit the SAFE Coalition website at www.vbsafecoalition.com or call 319-293-6412.