Thursday, June 26, 2014

How YLC Impacted My Life

Lydia Speaking with
Representative Hanson
By: Lydia Heald

Five years ago I did not think I would have the opportunity to travel to Phoenix, Arizona, Nashville, Tennessee, Austin, Texas, or Washington D.C. multiple times during my high school career, but I did and it all happened because I chose to join the Youth Leadership Council. It has been one of the best decisions I've made thus far in my life. It has provided me with so many extraordinary opportunities like speaking to four hundred plus youth on the prevention of substance abuse, speaking with Congressional members on Capitol Hill, as well as speaking with my own friends, family, and community members. All of these occasions have made me into the person I am today. My speaking has improved tremendously. I can capture and handle a crowd of young people with no problem. I have made connections both high and low that I will never forget, and who knows they could be my boss one day or writing me letters of recommendation for medical school. What I believe to be the greatest gift of joining YLC though, are the friends that I have made and will have for a lifetime, and the courage to never give up on something that I am so passionate about. I encourage any young person to join YLC, not because it looks good on college or scholarship applications, but because of the positive impact it will make in your life, just as it did in mine.

No comments: